Well...it went better than I could have hoped. I envisioned getting lost, getting left alone, making mistakes, etc. But as it turns out, none of those things happened! I was put with a CRNA that had been there several months. She was very welcoming and nice. She showed me around and stayed with me the whole day. I guess I should say I stayed with her.
I got comfortable enough to do a case on my own towards the end of the day. My guide was still with me but she let me run the whole thing. It went well.....except for the KNOT that I managed to tie AROUND the ETT with the OG! If you are not in anesthesia, you will not know what I just said. Let me just say that I could not repeat that feat if you paid me "a million dollars" (picture Dr Evil).
At the end of the case, I went to remove the OG and it wouldn't come easily. Then I noticed the ETT moving everytime I pulled a little on the OG. So I held the ETT in place and gently tugged the OG up until I saw the knot. I couldn't believe it. My guide wanted a picture of it but I didn't have my camera phone on me. Damn!
I guess something memorable has to happen when there is a first day of anything. All was well in the end. I just pulled the OG out with the ETT on extubation.
What a weird feeling to actually be earning money for something I spent the last year and a half doing for free...in fact PAYING to do it. I tell you what, it feels good!
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yay Trish! Congrats on the new income! Now... no more knots! ha ha ha Come see our blog sometime. Love ya!
Congrats on finishing your first day. Getting paid is so much fun--go out and treat yourself to something nice with that first paycheck! :)
I thought you were going to use your iphone at work! :)
I know Jasper but I didn't have it on me at the time. I left it in my locker by accident.
Congrats on a successful 1st day! (Even for the knot on the whatever tangled around the thingy!) Hope your whole week went well! ~Gina
Post a Comment