Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Another catch up post

It's been at least a month and I haven't posted. A few of my readers (and there are only a few to begin with) have asked me to update this blog. So here I go.
I happen to have a few days off this week due to working a 24 hour shift on Sunday. That entitles me to Mon, Tues, and Fri off. I asked a co-worker if he was interested in picking up an extra shift this week so now I have Thursday off as well...score! The point being that I better have time to update this blog (this week if ever) or I will never do it!
My morning has been spent in my pjs watching tv (even though my laundry remains unfolded next to the bed), eating berry muffins (even though the dishes remain unwashed in the sink), and catching up on the Bachelorette blogs that I follow (even though I have phone calls to make). So there, responsibilities!
Anywhoo, what has occurred of interest since I last wrote??? Well, our oldest turned 28 last month. I am not too distressed over it since it's not one of those milestone things like the kids turning 30. He said something funny on his birthday. He said he felt like he was turning 30 this year! I had to laugh because it's just like him to be ahead of himself like that. He has always thought years down the road to this or that goal. Maybe he meant that he was so stressed out that he felt older than he should, but I like to think that he meant that when he's 30, he'll handle it like it's no big deal...just another birthday...which it is...age is just a number and you're still my baby, Jasper so don't you forget it!


Chelsie also had a birthday last month, she's 26...smack in the middle of her twenties. She went floating down the river the other day with some friends. I talked to her before she went and told her to wear sunscreen...I'm such a mom. Anyway, she assured me that she always wears it but that she wanted "a little color" on her arms! I proceeded to lecture her on the dangers of sun exposure and that if I were in my twenties again, I would wear sunscreen all the time!!! But you know what, I probably wouldn't...I would feel like I had enough wiggle room to have "a little color" on my arms and legs without endangering my life. Ah youth!

We are looking forward to the wedding and making preparations. Polina and I went to the paper store yesterday to look for invitation supplies. I showed her what Chelsie and Michael had done just as a starting point for our search and she said, "Oh that's cool, we'll just do the same thing". I was expecting maybe a few hours of looking and not really settling on anything but she was so easy! We were in and out within an hour with all the supplies! Bridezilla she ain't!

A little accident occurred in our family over the fourth of July to Chelsie. She got some bad burns on her legs from an errant firework that landed in her lap! She spent the next two and a half weeks with bandages and ointments, wearing skirts instead of shorts...extremely painful with multiple blisters...work was almost impossible but she couldn't take time off. Michael spent the same two and a half weeks taking care of everything in the house and her. They were the kind of burns that you really had to watch but there wasn't much to be done except keep them clean and bandaged.

They are all but healed now and Chelsie said she will never again sit and watch fireworks in a neighborhood without something like a car separating her from the fireworks...so let that be a lesson to anyone within the reach of this blog...be careful! She also said that she really appreciates just being healthy and able to move without pain. Watching her struggle with this was so hard...especially being a nurse and not really being able to help or make the pain go away. Burns are the worst!

Wow...Debbie-Downer right? Whaa-whaaaaa. Ok so something upbeat now...Kevin is a genius! He thought a lot about how hot it gets in our upstairs tv room in the summer and how to keep it cooler without running the AC all the time...so Ta Da...introducing the all new Kevin-roof-cooling-omatic! the concept is that if you sprinkle the roof in the heat of the day, the water will evaporate off and cool the roof.

That black thing you see sticking up is a sprinkler head like you would put in your lawn. Kevin rigged up some pipe to carry the water to the roof (this view is from the back yard). You can't even see the sprinkler from the front of the house but you can see the water coming down. It is working quite well. We hardly ever run the AC and it's keeping the upstairs room about 20 degrees colder than it would have been otherwise. So when we do go up there, we only have to use the AC for a short time to cool it the rest of the way.

This is the timer that he put in the house on one wall to control how often the sprinkler comes on. Cool eh? No pun intended.
Well, just remembered that Kevin and I are supposed to meet for lunch and here I am in my pjs! Gotta run!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Sorry to hear about Chelsie--poor thing! I'm glad she's healing well. That picture of Jasper really reminds me of Gary, just something about his jaw and smile. And you're right, Kevin is a genius. Very cool idea to cool the roof. Sounds like a good week off so far! :)

Amy from Our Dish said...

Fun to hear from you! Happy late birthday to both your kiddos... who aren't really kiddos at all. :) Tell Chelsie that I got a burn from a firework too! It was actually a stupid sparkler, but not the plain ones. It was a fancy one that burned through 3 different colors, and it had a wrapper on it. You were supposed to just light the end of the paper wrapper. Well wouldn't ya know, a bunch of cousins all gathered around the same lighter and someone across from me ignited, and a piece of that stupid wrapper flew off and burned right through my shirt, swimsuit underneath, and onto my skin. It was a 2nd degree burn right on my sternum, and I still have a nasty scar to this day! oooooouuuuch!

I love the upstairs cooling idea! Hmmm.... I wonder if we had a gigantic fountain, something like a gushing fire hydrant, constantly soaking our roof it would make any difference? Hahaha probably not very water-conservative around this desert. :(

Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha Mom! You always make me laugh. I'm tellin ya, you should write a book :)

-Chels