Finally after months of waiting (and a near miss from a tsunami) we are in Hawaii. We arrived last night under a full moon. It was so beautiful. Here is a picture off our balcony. The moon is just peeking out from behind some clouds. We are staying in a condo in Waikiki near a boat marina. Our condo is small but very clean and very comfortable. It reminds me more of a hotel room but with a small kitchen off to one side. The furnishings are newer and the colors are very modern but with a definite island feel.
We got up this morning and decided to jump right in to some activities. Kevin got all geared up for fly fishing (Kevin is covered from head to toe...sun protection and wind breaker because of the heavy wind this morning). I dropped him off in a neighborhood that has beach access between two houses...this little trail that you would never find if you didn't know right where it was.He is carrying a plastic kitchen sink-looking thing to catch his line in when he "strips the reel"...a bunch of fishing lingo that most of us don't understand...regardless, Kevin is stalking the elusive bonefish and he's in heaven.

I, on the other hand, drove a little ways beyond where I dropped Kevin off and realized I was right near Hanauma bay so I went in. Boy, has it changed! I mean, the water and the bay and all that is still the same but they have closed off the entrance so that you have to pay a fee to enter ($7.50) and then you have to watch an instructional video that tells you to not feed the fish and not stand on the coral reef...lame. Oh yeah, and it tells you how to snorkle. You HAVE to watch the video or you can't enter the park. So I trudged along like all the other sheep and watched the freaking video...felt like I was in communist china the whole time...
But then...I got down to the beach and found a spot in the shade. Put down my little beach chair and took a deep breath to cleanse myself of all the stress of getting there. I then read my book under a palm tree...as you see in the picture, a lovely spot. it looks like evening in the picture but I think my phone just does weird things with the light when I'm facing into the sun. I had a really nice time...the wind did blow some sand in my hair and down my shirt...well, we won't go into that...but I enjoyed the time. I am thinking I might try to paint this scene with the oils I brought with me. We'll see. Well, that's it for now. Hopefully I can post again later in the week.

2 comments:
SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! The jealousy nearly consumes me :)
Those are awesome pictures.
Yay!!! I'm so glad you guys are having fun!! Take some pics of the condo! (chels)
Post a Comment