Friday, August 7, 2009

Beware! Nasty plants are in the forest

Last week I was up at the cabin and it was beautiful! The huckleberries are on (will post pics later) so Kevin and I took Mocha and headed up for a few hours of picking. We got into huckleberry heaven, I swear. I have never seen a more plentiful patch in my life. We picked for about three hours and got a ton. We kept getting into better and better patches so we couldn't stop. If anyone knows the sheer joy of finding a ton of huckleberries, you know what I'm talking about.

Now for the nasty part. I was going for one particular plant when I pulled my elbow back into what can only be described as fifteen hypodermic needles full of acid. Wow...tears in my eyes...I kept saying "oww Kevin...oww! I looked behind me and there was a plant I've never seen before. It was hideous and it was just standing there laughing at me. I crushed it beneath my shoe...but on reflection, that's probably what it wanted me to do. It probably is part of the life cycle of that plant...getting someone so pissed off that they are compelled to crush it so the seeds can be released into the soil...damn! I should have cut the head off of it and taken it home and burned it.

I ended up going into a minor emergency center when we got home on Tuesday and got on some prednisone for the swelling. It's getting better now.

And to add insult to injury, while I was grabing my elbow and calling for Kevin, Mocha pissed off a wasp somehow and it stung her right on the head! She and I were helpless after that so we just went home. Poor Mocha's eye swelled shut for about 1/2 a day.

I made a cool dessert with the huckleberries though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG I never heard about any of this!!
-Chels