Saturday, June 6, 2009

Turning 50

Well, it had to happen...the day I really owned the fact that I will be turning 50 this November. I was at the company picnic this past Saturday and I sat down with a co-worker to shoot the breeze. She mentioned at one point that she was turning 50 in July. I said, "oh really? my husband is turning 50 in July also". Then I said, "and I am turning 50 in November...no wait, I'm not...I'm 48"...(crickets chirping as she stared at me). Dead silence. Then she said, "what year were you born?" I said "1959". She said, "then you, my dear, are turning 50 this year". You could have knocked me over with a feather. I was so embarrassed that I had once known that I was turning 50 and then FORGOT my age the next instant...like I was in a dream. She just laughed and teased me about my age denial. 

I think I know why this happened though. Last November I was in the middle of finishing school and my birthday was an afterthought for me and everyone else. I think we went to dinner...it's all a blur. So to me, it never happened and I've been 48 this whole year! So anyway, some borrowed reflections on hitting the halfway mark (if I'm lucky enough to live to 100) : To think, when one is no longer young, when one is not yet old, that one is no longer young, that one is not yet old, that is perhaps something. ~ Samuel Beckett Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life. Daniel Francois Esprit Auber I think when the full horror of being fifty hits you, you should stay home and have a good cry. ~ Alan Bleasdale She was a handsome woman of forty-five and would remain so for many years. ~ Anita Brookner You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. ~ Les Brown To me -- old age is always ten years older than I am. ~ Andre B. Buruch I'm aiming by the time I'm fifty to stop being an adolescent. ~ Wendy Cope At twenty you have many desires which hide the truth, but beyond forty there are only real and fragile truths --your abilities and your failings. ~ Gerard Depardieu One of the most important phases of maturing is that of growth from self-centering to an understanding relationship to others. A person is not mature until he has both an ability and a willingness to see himself as one among others and to do unto those others as he would have them do to him. ~ Harry A. Overstreet And one thought that I borrowed from Jewel, the singer..."in the end, only kindness matters". 

 I have always thought that I would just shrug off getting older, like it was inevitable and that I was logical enough to "handle it" (whatever that means). But when you are hit with the reality that your life is probably more than 1/2 over, it's a freak out. Finishing school and knowing that I will not be going back for any additional schooling, that I am starting a career that I will have for many years to come (again, if I'm lucky) is satisfying but also a weird feeling. Because up until now, I have always thought that I had another hurdle to jump. Having hurdles to jump feels right to me. I like the structure of a line of hurdles. There is no right or left, only forward over the jumps. We'll see how far I take this freak out. Maybe I'll buy a sports car and dye my hair blond. (No I won't, I promise).

6 comments:

Amy from Our Dish said...

Well if it makes you feel any better, one would NEVER guess you are 50-ish, not in a million years. Maybe that won't make you feel better because I know that wasn't your point...

Enjoy the accomplishment that comes from getting past those hurdles (and doing such a great job at it.) Don't worry, there will always be more. You just don't always get to plan WHAT they are!

Pat's pithy page said...

Good point Amy...maybe that's why I'm unsettled. I'm a bit of a control freak and the unknown scares me. Thanks for the compliment and yes, it does help!

Anonymous said...

You know if you dont remember exactly how old you are - thats a good thing, I think... The most important is that you are healthy and happy - you see your children grow and become successfull and that is what we live for, and thats what our parents live for...My mom is turning 50 as well this August, by the way...

Anonymous said...

oh forgot to say it was Polina...
I dont know how much sense my comment makes either...Thats how I see life, at least...But, again - what do I know...

Anonymous said...

Oh, and yes - you look great! I would never guess your age if I did not know! Polina

Pat's pithy page said...

Thanks Polina! I didn't know your mom is my age. And I agree that health and happiness are the most important things in life, along with a sense of accomplishment.